Thursday, March 13, 2014

Strawberry Fields…

Just before half term one of my students came to class with a quilt she had made using a layer cake. The design was simple, but really effective. She couldn't quite remember how she had made it saying she cut it one way then did some sewing and the cut it again. So there on the spot I worked out the pattern and in a 2 for 1 special not only gave the class the insight how to make the quilt, but also inspired myself to finally cut into one of the layer cakes in my stash. I decided to used the Strawberry Fields layer cake. It was really hard to make the first cut, but once the first one was made I was well on my way to some mindless holiday sewing. I thought you would like to know how I did it so I took some pictures along the way. Apologies for the quality of the pictures...they were taken in low light with my tablet.

Recipe...1 layer cake

Take your layer cake and cut a 3 1/2" strip off each square...the remaining half measures 6 1/2".  You can cut several layers at a time..4-6 layers if you have a nice sharp blade.

Now take the two halves to the machine and sew them together mixing and matching your patterns as you go.

Now with the seam running horizontally, cut each block into equal halves (this should be 5")

Now mix the halves up and sew them back together making sure to reverse the direction of one of the blocks.   Make sure you sew the pairs so the small rectangles are always in the same place or your pairs will be mirrored.

Sew them together alternating the direction of the blocks and sew them in 7 rows of 6.

 

Oh…and this last little pic…well this was my DH’s idea…More to follow! :o)…I’ve got to keep you guessing!

Until next time...♥

10 comments:

Ellyn said...

what a great idea for a layer cake! thanks for the tutorial. and I'm intrigued by that last photo!

audrey said...

Love your fabrics! And that applique work looks very interesting--can't wait to see what you're up to with this one.:)

Sarah said...

Love your sneak peek. Thank you for the layer cake lesson, I love patterns that make the most of precuts!

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh, did you get a little camper? That looks like a cute little block. And thanks for the instructions. I love looking at quilts and figuring out how they made a block. With all the improv stuff out there though, sometimes it's really hard LOL!

Liz said...

Are you caravanning this summer?

Jill said...

I love the fabric and the quilt design. Not too busy but still interesting! Now I need to find layer cakes and a bit of time. Can't wait to see what the appliqué project is.

Shirley said...

Think i know what you are making. Is it a caravan doorstop? First thought was Russian dolls but I shall go with the caravan theme. Great tutorial.

Elizabeth said...

Strawberry Fields is such a pretty fabric, the tutorial is great so thank you for the inspiration.

Kitty said...

That layer cake pattern is fabulous. Such pretty fabrics. And I think the sneak peek is a caravan of some kind?!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tute. So simple and effective and it's good to find a layer cake use. I find I like the size of layer cakes, but the patterns available for them are uninspiring. Jelly roll patterns appeal to me much more. It's nice to see a layer cake one I like.