Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New and Old..

The new sewing addition has arrived and I can finally reveal to you what resides in my sewing corner. Meet Sookie the Juki!

I have bought a Juki 8100e industrial straight stitch machine. I have looked at industrial machines for awhile as an alternative to say the Juki TL-98 or even the Janome 1600 and I have looked at the old big Singers too just to get the extra harp space for machine quilting, but after several discussions with the DH we came back full circle to the idea of an industrial machine.

We found a dealer who had one set up for me to try, so we set off to Birmingham to S Nutt Sewing Machines to have a look. As soon as I saw the machine in action I knew it would be fab! But the big question, of course, was would it do free motion as the feed dogs don't drop...? I knew it had to be possible as I found Katie's video showing her quilting on her industrial machine.  A few emails later (thanks Katie) and some help from the Nutt brothers the solution was found. The work around is that you drop the stitch length to 0 and with a high shank free motion foot from Janome free motion quilting is possible.

(This is me with my super bright quilt!)

I have already completed the quilt and the experience was bliss.. No fighting with the bulk!

So if one new machine wasn't fun enough.. Another found its way into the house the same week and it is a complete polar opposite... A hand-crank Singer 99k made in September 1931. She needs a little TLC but is already a working machine. I had it out this weekend with the girls and set about threading it to give it a try... DD1 was cheeky enough to catch my pose so I could see the needle to thread it. (sharing this picture with you is in the category of keeping it real!)

I didn't bother to put it on a table and being that it is wireless you can use it anywhere lol. So all threaded up we gave it a go and it worked!

Today I cleaned out the bobbin area and replaced the race wick as it wasn't doing its job anymore. I just loved the idea of getting this old girl working and sitting on the patio in the summer sewing away. What is interesting is that the upper tension on the Singer is the same as the industrial Juki so even though they are 83 years apart they really aren’t that different!

Until next time...♥

15 comments:

audrey said...

What fun for you getting both machines to play around with! The industrial Juki sounds like a work horse.:)

Ellyn said...

oh you lucky lucky girl! enjoy them both

Janet said...

Yippee what fun!! I'm sure you will enjoy your Juki very much. The hand crank is awesome! I've been hinting to my DH for a long time that I want to get one -I'll have to show him your post :0) Keep on keeping it real - lol!

Mad about Craft said...

Enjoy your new machines!

I've just bought a Singer hand crank 201k which needs a little work too!

Gertie Pye said...

Wow the Juki looks amazing! Would love a machine like that - does exactly what it says on the tin!

Kate North said...

Ooh, how exciting! Look forward to seeing what you do with it :)

Elizabeth said...

You make free motion quilting look so easy. I do like the idea of sitting outside with an old machine to stitch, those old machines are so lovely to use.
Happy stitching.

Lynda said...

Talk about chalk and cheese! Did you know you can print off an instruction manual for your Singer for free? Always useful if all else fails!

Timi said...

I like both machines, but the Singer is close to my heart...:o)

Thimbleanna said...

You're too funny -- Congratulations!!! I see LOTS of fun sewing in your future!

Michelle said...

OMG! I Want one! Why is yours so much quieter than Katie's? I am thinking there will be one in my future SOON!

Kitty said...

What a fascinating post, Jane. You are going to have so much fun with your new 'toys' ... I look forward to seeing the results.

Katherine said...

Such beauties! So excited for you, Jane. I'm sure you'll be keeping the machines humming and enjoying every stitch.

Helenjean said...

The old machine looks great fun .
Good idea to use it to sew in the garden !

Quilter Kathy said...

Love both of your "new" machines!!!