Friday, April 26, 2013

Done and donated…

Started way back in 2010 these appliqued blocks were a bit of an experiment for me as I wanted to improve my hand applique and learn needleturn.  Over the years I’ve written about them before and the technique I used here and here.

Now finally these 12 blocks have become 3 quilts.  All similar, yet their borders and quilting make them different.

This first one I quilted using an idea I had heard from Pat Deacon where you quilt a large arc through the middle of the quilt and then you echo it out to the edge using a quilting bar on the edge of your walking foot as a guide.  After you’ve echoed out one way you create another arc through the quilt and repeat.  It’s a great method and so quick.

I kept my spacing fairly wide as this is a quilt for Linus and I like to keep those quilts nice and light and cuddly.  If I had been keeping this for myself I would have would have made the channels closer.

Next was a quilt that was begging to reflect the garden and to that end I quilted meandering butterflies.

You might remember I did a video showing the method for stitching, but I thought I would share the link for those of you that missed it the first time… (don’t laugh…too much!)

Last, the one with the green border which was quilted with feathers.  That was great fun and something I would repeat.

I meandered in the white spaces and individually quilted the applique.  It was time consuming, but I really like the results.

Until next time...♥

15 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Just reading your post while I eat breakfast...lovely quilts to wake up to! I am sure they will bring sunshine to three little people!

Canadian Abroad said...

They do indeed look very different with the borders and quilting. All of them lovely and all of them unique.

Thimbleanna said...

They're all just wonderful Jane! So bright and happy and pretty. I've never heard of that arc method of quilting -- very interesting!

Terry said...

They're all so pretty! I love the little quilted butterflies! I must try those one of these days! :0)

sewkalico said...

They all look fantastic!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Each one is gorgeous and I love that you tried completely different quilting designs on each one...very creative!

Helen said...

Oh Jane that really is gorgeous, you are clever!!
Love Helen xx

Katie said...

They are just lovely. I'm sure they will be appreciated. :-)

audrey said...

Beautiful! Someone is going to feel very special getting one of these quilts.

Lynda said...

They have indeed been donated - they went off to Surestart this morning, ready to give some lucky children hugs!

Janet said...

Three very pretty quilts! They are so happy and cheerful - sure to bring lots of smiles :0)

Carrie P. said...

OH, they are all so pretty. thanks for showing that quilting technique about the arc.

Cathi said...

They're all wonderful! You have made three people very happy with those!
Interesting technique with the arc quilting.

Di said...

Beautiful quilts, Jane, and all so cheerful. I love your quilting techniques and that one using arcs is something I really want to try out. My favourite, though, has to be the butterflies!

Ann J said...

Terrific Trio Jane !! Love the arc quilting will definitely have to try that one !